Friday, April 16, 2010

THE FLEET

"...I've got bills to pay and children to feed
I know there's fish out there but where God only knows
They say these waters aren't what they used to be 
But I've got people back on land who count on me


So if you see my Downeaster "Alexa"
And if you work with the rod and the reel
Tell my wife I am trawling Atlantis
and I still have my hands on the wheel..."
Billy Joel Lyrics - The Downeaster 'Alexa'



Making a living fishing is such a difficult job. Yet there are those for whom being out on the sea is as imporant as breathing. They are the ones who leave family for weeks at a time chasing fish, hoping the catch will be large enough to give a good payday. They endure storms, high seas and frigid temperatures and always the risk they will not return. So every time I eat a peice of fish or enjoy a platter of oysters or peel a shrimp, I'll say a little prayer for the hard working fisherman who farmed the sea to feed his family--and me.










3 comments:

  1. How nice and thoughtful of you to think that way about fisherman and their families. That’s really touching. I’ve never thought about that maybe because I live far from the sea but it is so very true what you say. Your photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now that piece of cod in my fridge seems downright romantic.

    Oh, I love these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post. My godson, his brother, their father, their grandfather... are/were fishermen. I admire them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.