Monday, August 17, 2009

A FT. PICKENS EVENING - PART 2

"I was always a lover of soft-winged things." ~ Victor Hugo

While waiting for the sun to set, I came across two blue herons quietly strolling along the shore. I've wanted to photograph these lovely birdes in flight, but they seemed to be determined to stay on the beach no matter how close I came.

As I was following these two herons, a third flew by giving me little time to react.

Luckily I was somewhat prepared and finally caught one of these wonderful birds in flight.

It must have been my lucky evening, because soon after I took the picture of the flying heron, the two I had been following suddenly let loose a loud cry and flew out over the water. The lighting put their forms in silhouette.

Then I spotted a third heron flying towards me. I was feeling very lucky indeed.

As the sun was setting, one of the herons flew past my view finder and I clicked. Not a great picture, but I like the black silhouette against the gold cast of the water.

Then as we were leaving for the evening, my son almost stepped on this little ghost crab! This is from behind him. Don't you love the eyes?

And here he is from the front. A little less strange looking.

8 comments:

  1. Those are great shots. I think you did a fantastic job. I've never seen one flying before. They are gorgeous in the air.

    I don't like crabs. They remind me too much of spiders!! Good photos though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those crabs edible?
    The heron shots are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ciel. No, the crabs aren't for eating. They are actually very small. It would take too many of them to make a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cindy. They are lovely, graceful birds. These little crabs are too little to be scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great images! I haven't made a trip to Fort Pickens since we moved back. We were going to go in the autumn...I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd say you were in the right place at the right time to catch those beautiful birds in flight. Perhaps they are hams when they see a camera! lol
    Really nice shots and I love the different lighting.
    And yes, I love the crab's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You usually intend to make positive there exists a barf case open to you. Men and women can become nauseous and have up with the decline of any dime on an airline. Even when you are not sensation unwell, who knows how the individual seated beside you is going to respond to the turbulence. [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]App766udi[/url]

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.