Friday, May 24, 2013

THE GATORS

 The majority of Alligator Farm is, of course, dedicated to the Alligators and a few crocodiles. It was disturbing at first to see how many gators were there and how large some were. There was a feeding demonstration we strolled upon which was pretty interesting. Alligators only need to eat once every 6 or 7 days--that surprised me. Excess calories are stored in fat deposits at the base of the alligator's tail. Incredibly, by burning fat reserves, it is possible for an alligator to last more than two years between feedings.
 
Sunning themselves at the "beach."
 
Hey mom, are we just going to lie around all day?
 

I got this one.
 
Okay, I'm ready. Where's the food?


You'll just have to wait your turn.
 
Albino Alligator
 
Blue Parrot


African Crowned Crane
 

3 comments:

  1. For some reason, I have always been terrified of them, ever since I was little...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that albino alligator is amazing! Have never seen one. This also reminds me of zoo visits when I was younger. I do find their enormous size a bit unsettling too - you caught a great feeding "action shot"! (Unsettling yes, but a great shot:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just think, "Giant lizard," and I'm ok. But not if one crawled into my backyard.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.