Wednesday, March 14, 2012

PUMPKIN

"My favorite animal is the mule. He has more horse sense than a horse. He knows when to stop eating ---and he knows when to stop working."
~Harry S. Truman quotes
(With apologies to all my horse friends.)

Meet pummpkin Pie, a New Orleans mule who spends her days pulling carriages filled with tourists through the streets of the French Quarter. She nudged me twice as I stood taking a picture of Jackson Square, so I assumed she wanted her picture taken too. Rather photogenic, don't you think?

I love the mules, though I would much prefer that they were on a farm frolicking (do mules frolick?) rather than standing in the hot sun waiting for drivers to persuade tourists to take an over priced carriage ride. They always look so sad just standing there patiently.

4 comments:

  1. Hate the title? No way. I'm a big fan of mules and donkeys. I'm with you on the frolic, though. They love to frolic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure mules frolick every now and then, when no humans are looking, lol! I'd have had to take a picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Pumpkin must be a happy mule, most of the buggy pullers looked lethargic to me but, then again, the humidity and heat don't help. Maybe she was asking for help?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wonder what the animals in human servitude must think. On a farm or in the wild is much better to me. But maybe Pumpkin is happy and content to shovel humans around all day. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.